Lines 139-172: When Lil's husband got demobbed...

<---PREV

139           When Lil's husband got demobbed, I said —
140           I didn't mince my words, I said to her myself,
141           HURRY UP PLEASE ITS TIME
142           Now Albert's coming back, make yourself a bit smart.
143           He'll want to know what you done with that money he gave you
144           To get herself some teeth.  He did, I was there.
145           You have them all out, Lil, and get a nice set,
146           He said, I swear, I can't bear to look at you.
147           And no more can't I, I said, and think of poor Albert,
148           He's been in the army for four years, he wants a good time,
149           And if you don't give it him, there's others will, I said.
150           Oh is there, she said.  Something o' that, I said.
151           Then I'll know who to thank, she said, and give me a straight look.
152           HURRY UP PLEASE ITS TIME
153           If you don't like it you can get on with it, I said.
154           Others can pick and choose if you can't.
155           But if Albert makes off, it won't be for a lack of telling.
156           You ought to be ashamed, I said, to look so antique.
157           (And her only thirty-one.)
158           I can't help it, she said, pulling a long face,
159           It's them pills I took, to bring it off, she said.
160           (She's had five already, and nearly died of young George.)
161           The chemist said it would be all right, but I've never been the same.
162           You are a proper fool, I said.
163           Well, if Albert won't leave you alone, there it is, I said,
164           What you get married for if you don't want children?
165           HURRY UP PLEASE ITS TIME
166           Well, that Sunday Albert was home, they had a hot gammon,
167           And they asked me in to dinner, to get the beauty of it hot —
168           HURRY UP PLEASE ITS TIME 
169           HURRY UP PLEASE ITS TIME
170           Goonight Bill.  Goonight Lou.  Goonight May.  Goonight.
171           Ta ta.  Goonight.  Goonight.
172           Good night, ladies, good night, sweet ladies, good night, good night.

                                                                                                     NEXT--->